Hey, New York Times, Washington Post, New York Review of Books...someone! Can one of you guys do a really good, in-depth story about plagiarism and why authors continue to do it, especially now in the days of Lexis/Nexis and Google.
I've always wondered what goes through writers' heads when they basically copy paragraph after paragraph of another author's work and think they will somehow get away with it. It often comes to light with newspaper writers, but it also happens with book authors - novelists and non-fiction.
A few years ago, the issue got a burst of press when both Stephen Ambrose and Doris Kearns Goodwin, presidential biographers and historians, were found to have used others' work as their own.
Now, we see it with hot new lit sensation, 19-year old Kaaya Viswanathan of Harvard, who got a huge book deal for her novel, "How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild and Got a Life," only to have it turn out she had plagiarized many passages from young-adult writer Megan McCafferty's books, "Sloppy Firsts" and "Second Helpings."
As the Times reports: "The similarities between "Opal" and Ms. McCafferty's books were striking in some cases, with many passages in Ms. Viswanathan's novel — (McCafferty publisher) Crown cited more than 40 — echoing Ms. McCafferty's works almost exactly."
I really am fascinated by this. How can these people not think they will get caught?
It's calling out for a great report, and I'd love to know the psychological backstory. Not just that it happens, but why do they do it?
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Fly Me to the Moon
- Oy gevalt
- Hello, can someone do this story?
- I love having the gals fight over me
- When does the revolution start?
- New Jersey and you...and anthrax-ridden mice
- Guns, gas, God and gays - the Republican platform
- Yeah, I'll admit it, I can be a bum
- Is there anything he touches that doesn't become a...
- Here's a suggestion, George - look in the goddamn ...
- Woke up this morning
- Give me a cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee for a buck ...
- Speaking of movies....
- Hooray for Hollywood
- I don't have to open the door myself - yeaaa!
- Why don't they just keep 'em chained up in the kit...
- Hello Satan, my usual table, please
- I hope they don't rent hotel rooms later for a pos...
- And they say white people have no rhythm
- Did they finally run out of swamp land in Florida ...
- And I thought TOM was sort of wacky
- And she still doesn't understand why I call her Corky
- Watch out Ecuador, we're coming to take your spot
- On all other nights, I don't have a cannon ball in...
- Working the refs
- (S+C) x (B+F)/T = V
- Coming soon to a state near you?
- Warning: New York chauvinism coming up
- People suck
- See what happens if you put your mind to it...and ...
- Are they delusional?
- You say you want a revolution
- Katie did...finally
- What the #&*$@?
- And he actually won a damn war
- "Kvetching with desiah..."
- Now, if I can only get them filled with Jack Danie...
- “I am big, it's the pictures that got small.”
- They had me coming and going
- Instant karma's gonna get you
- What's next? Sending suicide bombers to Cancun?
- F-me pumps at brunch?
- ▼ April (42)