Sunday, April 30, 2006
Fly Me to the Moon
I felt like Sinatra in the Rat Pack this weekend. On Friday, my friends Sarah and “Velma” and I went up to the Foxwoods casino in Connecticut, and came back this morning. Let me tell you, there's nothing like a few days of drinking Scotch and strolling around a casino with a “broad' on each side to feel like the Chairman of the Board. Although they refused to dress like Joey Heatherton and Ann-Margret, the little prudes.
All I needed was a fedora and to bring some hookers up to the room and I would been Ol' Blue Eyes redux. Good times.
It was a lot of fun, but, of course, I came away about $600 poorer. I never beat the house at a casino, so I don't know why I even bother. I did black jack, tried baccarat, and played a lot of slots, which actually have some of the worst odds of any game.
And, while we were there, Velma got into an argument with a waitress who caught her putting shrimp cocktails (wrapped up, I will say) from a buffet into a bag, for us to snack on later in the room. She was going to put them in the little fridge, next to the $18 Tobler bars.
It was mortifying.
And it was quite a battle of the minds too – Velma pointing out she had paid for the buffet, so what difference did it make if she ate some in the restaurant or later in the room. The waitress countering: what was to stop anyone then from bringing in Tupperware containers, and just filling them up and carting food away for other people who hadn't paid.
Technically, I suppose she was right, but she was also one of those ball busters who gets off on causing grief. I mean, really, who ever heard of a casino frowning on excess?
As I told Velma, they have cameras and security everywhere in these places, looking for card cheats, scam artists and pickpockets. Only she would be busted for swiping shellfish from a $10 all-you-can-eat buffet table.
She's likely banned from all casinos -- and probably Red Lobsters -- in the tri-state area now.
Posted by J at 1:59 PM
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Fly Me to the Moon
- Oy gevalt
- Hello, can someone do this story?
- I love having the gals fight over me
- When does the revolution start?
- New Jersey and you...and anthrax-ridden mice
- Guns, gas, God and gays - the Republican platform
- Yeah, I'll admit it, I can be a bum
- Is there anything he touches that doesn't become a...
- Here's a suggestion, George - look in the goddamn ...
- Woke up this morning
- Give me a cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee for a buck ...
- Speaking of movies....
- Hooray for Hollywood
- I don't have to open the door myself - yeaaa!
- Why don't they just keep 'em chained up in the kit...
- Hello Satan, my usual table, please
- I hope they don't rent hotel rooms later for a pos...
- And they say white people have no rhythm
- Did they finally run out of swamp land in Florida ...
- And I thought TOM was sort of wacky
- And she still doesn't understand why I call her Corky
- Watch out Ecuador, we're coming to take your spot
- On all other nights, I don't have a cannon ball in...
- Working the refs
- (S+C) x (B+F)/T = V
- Coming soon to a state near you?
- Warning: New York chauvinism coming up
- People suck
- See what happens if you put your mind to it...and ...
- Are they delusional?
- You say you want a revolution
- Katie did...finally
- What the #&*$@?
- And he actually won a damn war
- "Kvetching with desiah..."
- Now, if I can only get them filled with Jack Danie...
- “I am big, it's the pictures that got small.”
- They had me coming and going
- Instant karma's gonna get you
- What's next? Sending suicide bombers to Cancun?
- F-me pumps at brunch?
- ▼ April (42)