I saw a strange thing Saturday afternoon. I met a friend for drinks in midtown, and while we were sitting at the bar, this guy went into the corner and started playing guitar and singing. And I mean really loudly. He wasn't bad or anything, it was just pretty distracting.
There were some other people at the bar, and a few who had come in with him were applauding, shouting out requests, and one girl was even taking pictures of him.
I didn't think anything of it at first, but this was about 4 pm, which seemed pretty early to have live music going, so I asked the bartender why they had him there so early.
It turns out the guy wasn't hired by the bar. He had literally just walked in off the street and started playing his guitar and performing.
The bartender asked me, “Is that wrong?” suddenly realizing that this was an unusual occurrence. (That's a real quote there, by the way, folks. I don't make these things up).
Now, perhaps this is the time to mention that the bartender was the ever-innocent Littlest K, one of the infamous K Sisters. She had scored a bartending job at this little pub, this was her third time behind the bar, and Middle K (Jan) had called me to meet her there so we could give her sister lots of tip money.
Anyway, the manager wasn't there, and Little K was in charge.
But this troubadour, whoever he was, had fun, I guess.
At another point, the Littlest K was talking to us, and a customer at the end of the bar caught her eye and signaled for a drink, and, I swear, she looked at him all puzzled, and then suddenly realized - oh yeah, she was actually there behind the bar, and was supposed to, you know, serve people drinks.
Let's just say, it might be a while before she is juggling liquor bottles around like Tom Cruise did in “Cocktail.”
(Although I wouldn't mind seeing her make out with someone who looked like Elizabeth Shue. But my luck is never that good.)
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Fly Me to the Moon
- Oy gevalt
- Hello, can someone do this story?
- I love having the gals fight over me
- When does the revolution start?
- New Jersey and you...and anthrax-ridden mice
- Guns, gas, God and gays - the Republican platform
- Yeah, I'll admit it, I can be a bum
- Is there anything he touches that doesn't become a...
- Here's a suggestion, George - look in the goddamn ...
- Woke up this morning
- Give me a cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee for a buck ...
- Speaking of movies....
- Hooray for Hollywood
- I don't have to open the door myself - yeaaa!
- Why don't they just keep 'em chained up in the kit...
- Hello Satan, my usual table, please
- I hope they don't rent hotel rooms later for a pos...
- And they say white people have no rhythm
- Did they finally run out of swamp land in Florida ...
- And I thought TOM was sort of wacky
- And she still doesn't understand why I call her Co...
- Watch out Ecuador, we're coming to take your spot
- On all other nights, I don't have a cannon ball in...
- Working the refs
- (S+C) x (B+F)/T = V
- Coming soon to a state near you?
- Warning: New York chauvinism coming up
- People suck
- See what happens if you put your mind to it...and ...
- Are they delusional?
- You say you want a revolution
- Katie did...finally
- What the #&*$@?
- And he actually won a damn war
- "Kvetching with desiah..."
- Now, if I can only get them filled with Jack Danie...
- “I am big, it's the pictures that got small.”
- They had me coming and going
- Instant karma's gonna get you
- What's next? Sending suicide bombers to Cancun?
- F-me pumps at brunch?
- ▼ April (42)