To all you moderate Republicans out there who thought: “W ain't so bad, he's not so right-wing as some of them,” well, as I tried to say to some of my friends who don't really follow politics that much - when you vote for a President, you are really voting for his Supreme Court nominees.
And that's where the real damage is done.
Because those guys (sometimes gals, but usually guys) will be on that bench for decades. It's a lifetime appointment. And Clarence Thomas and Antonin Scalia will be there for a long time. And now, thanks to Bush and the GOP congress, John Roberts and Samuel Alito will be there for years and years and years and years.
And they are the ones who will be voting on all sorts of cases, including Roe. And let's be clear here, folks, Roe's days are numbered.
State by state they are chipping away. And women no longer will get to decide if they will put their bodies through nine months of pregnancy. Then childbirth. Then supporting that child for many years thereafter.
They will be told, by the state, sorry – it's no longer your choice. We control your uterus.
In South Dakota they just decided that, even if a woman is the victim of rape or incest, she can't get an abortion. And now Tennessee has voted to amend the state's constitution to no longer guarantee a woman's right to an abortion.
It's pretty scary to me that we are living in a country that will do this.
And my body is never going to be commandeered by the government to do something I don't want to do. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why women are not rising up en masse to scream - STOP!
But I hope they eventually will. I hope they will make their voices felt in the 2006 congressional elections - and certainly in the 2008 presidential election.
When you vote for President it matters a hell of a lot beyond the foreign and economic and environmental policies.
Bill Clinton vetoed the anti-choice bills sent to him by a GOP Congress. A Republican president will not.
I would really like to see some goddamn angry women speaking out these days.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Can you hear me now?
- Jesus H. Christ
- Join the club
- It's the most wonderful time of the year
- Scalia is such un succhiatore
- They must be heathens
- The terrorists have won
- I loved Crazy Cat on the Cartoon Network
- Well, I must be a goddamn general by now
- I think I need a damn Tampon now
- What am I, Google?
- Ohh mah gaaahhd, like, I know gurrls like thaaat
- Is this the seventh sign of the apocalypse?
- Everything will be good now
- Now, if I can only find a place where they fry bre...
- Lara Logan on fire
- That sounds familiar
- That didn't last long
- Oy gevalt
- I'd be screaming like a little girl
- The sharks were better actors
- Another Bush foreign policy success story
- What - is he in the Rolling Stones?
- He's probably going to be the next Secretary of Labor
- Sanity in South Dakota?
- Pass that buck
- She didn't say anything about black and white cookies
- Greed in the record industry? Shocking!
- Maybe he was just afraid of getting shot in the face?
- What's black and white and yummy all over?
- Seriously, can they get any scummier?
- Steaks and traitors and Scotch – oh my
- In-sane (adj.)
- It's about time
- Ladies, start your engines...of envy
- Can we at least call it a George Horse?
- Tall and tan and young and lovely....
- I hope they were wearing their protective vests
- I hear the call of the loon
- Reading is fundamental
- Corky or Lucy? You make the call
- There better be a goddamn revolution in November
- Good for her
- She wanted a salmon roll...in the hay
- SFX indeed
- His name will suddenly be very appropriate
- What's a little E. coli among friends
- March 14 - what a glorious day
- Is Erica Kane going to be named Secretary of State...
- Another glamorous night in the Big Apple
- The mind absolutely boggles
- Who are these heathens?
- His poll numbers are so bad he had to return to th...
- A bob job vs. a war? Not even close for Sen. Bill ...
- Now THAT'S my type
- Who knew so many people liked carrot juice?
- “That coat check girl has a name.”
- He's actually a small time piker in the usual scal...
- Where are the goddamn angry women?
- I survived!
- Bada bing
- George who?
- Someone didn't get the talking points
- What's wrong with this picture?
- Well, let me transfer my bank account info over to...
- It's a small world after all
- That little filly needs tamed -- and I'm just the ...
- They're just mad Bruce Willis hasn't been nominate...
- Piano Man
- Saturday rejuvenation tip # 26
- Speaking of God, it's about God damn time
- I really want to be an astronaut! No, wait, a fire...
- Now he tells us
- Dance, puppet, dance
- It's one of the seven deadly sins, you know
- Move over Georgina Bloomberg
- What's up with this seeing a celebrity thing?
- ▼ March (82)