The right-wing chicken hawks, you know, the ones who love to cheer on every military adventure without having ever served a day in uniform themselves, really are the biggest bunch of wusses.
From the Vietnam-era days of Bush and Cheney making a point of not serving in that disastrous war (while, of course, advocating it), to the current crop of tough talking politicians and media figures who love the Iraq war, but, again, don't volunteer for it, the cowardliness and sleaze of these people never ceases to amaze me.
Case in point, right-wing radio host Hugh Hewitt. He's a C-level talk radio buffoon, a Limbaugh wannabe. He usually broadcasts from Los Angeles, but, as blogoland noted, Hewitt traveled all the way to (gasp) New York for a broadcast recently, and conducted a phone interview with Time magazine's Baghdad correspondent Michael Ware.
Hewitt apparently is angry at the work of Ware and his media colleagues stationed in the hellhole that is Baghdad, what, with them reporting on the car bombings and mass killings and civil war and all. Scurrying around town in armed escorts. Not knowing if they are going to be kidnapped and beheaded at any moment, or caught in crossfire, or have their hotel blown up as they sleep at night.
Then, this amazing exchange took place:
MW: Let's look at it this way. I mean, you're sitting back in a comfortable radio studio, far from the realities of this war.
HH: Actually, Michael, let me interrupt you.
MW: If anyone has a right...
HH: Michael, one second.
MW: If anyone has a right to complain, that's what...
HH: I'm sitting in the Empire State Building. Michael, I'm sitting in the Empire State Building, which has been in the past, and could be again, a target. Because in downtown Manhattan, it's not comfortable, although it's a lot safer than where you are, people always are three miles away from where the jihadis last spoke in America. So that's...civilians have a stake in this. Although you are on the front line, this was the front line four and a half years ago.
Huh? What? Hugh, you're actually in NYC? The Empire State Building, no less? Do you have your body armor on? Are you getting danger pay? Damn, you really are at the front lines! What a man!
What a fucking piece of shit.
New Yorkers, who were here on 9-11, and have lived here since, knowing we are a big giant target for any future terror attack, go calmly about our business, enjoying life quite a lot (if I do say so). We eat, we drink, we ride the subways every day, we go out and carouse, we live.
And this little pussy comes to town and whines about how brave he is because he's in midtown Manhattan.
Hey, pal, why don't you slink back to your little protected underground bunker and leave the city to those of us with some balls. (And, of course, I include the girls who live here too without falling apart and getting the vapors. Any one of them could probably kick your flabby ass).
Hugh Hewitt - what a sad little piece of scum. And what a typical right-wing chicken hawk.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Can you hear me now?
- Jesus H. Christ
- Join the club
- It's the most wonderful time of the year
- Scalia is such un succhiatore
- They must be heathens
- The terrorists have won
- I loved Crazy Cat on the Cartoon Network
- Well, I must be a goddamn general by now
- I think I need a damn Tampon now
- What am I, Google?
- Ohh mah gaaahhd, like, I know gurrls like thaaat
- Is this the seventh sign of the apocalypse?
- Everything will be good now
- Now, if I can only find a place where they fry bre...
- Lara Logan on fire
- That sounds familiar
- That didn't last long
- Oy gevalt
- I'd be screaming like a little girl
- The sharks were better actors
- Another Bush foreign policy success story
- What - is he in the Rolling Stones?
- He's probably going to be the next Secretary of Labor
- Sanity in South Dakota?
- Pass that buck
- She didn't say anything about black and white cookies
- Greed in the record industry? Shocking!
- Maybe he was just afraid of getting shot in the face?
- What's black and white and yummy all over?
- Seriously, can they get any scummier?
- Steaks and traitors and Scotch – oh my
- In-sane (adj.)
- It's about time
- Ladies, start your engines...of envy
- Can we at least call it a George Horse?
- Tall and tan and young and lovely....
- I hope they were wearing their protective vests
- I hear the call of the loon
- Reading is fundamental
- Corky or Lucy? You make the call
- There better be a goddamn revolution in November
- Good for her
- She wanted a salmon roll...in the hay
- SFX indeed
- His name will suddenly be very appropriate
- What's a little E. coli among friends
- March 14 - what a glorious day
- Is Erica Kane going to be named Secretary of State...
- Another glamorous night in the Big Apple
- The mind absolutely boggles
- Who are these heathens?
- His poll numbers are so bad he had to return to th...
- A bob job vs. a war? Not even close for Sen. Bill ...
- Now THAT'S my type
- Who knew so many people liked carrot juice?
- “That coat check girl has a name.”
- He's actually a small time piker in the usual scal...
- Where are the goddamn angry women?
- I survived!
- Bada bing
- George who?
- Someone didn't get the talking points
- What's wrong with this picture?
- Well, let me transfer my bank account info over to...
- It's a small world after all
- That little filly needs tamed -- and I'm just the ...
- They're just mad Bruce Willis hasn't been nominate...
- Piano Man
- Saturday rejuvenation tip # 26
- Speaking of God, it's about God damn time
- I really want to be an astronaut! No, wait, a fire...
- Now he tells us
- Dance, puppet, dance
- It's one of the seven deadly sins, you know
- Move over Georgina Bloomberg
- What's up with this seeing a celebrity thing?
- ▼ March (82)