I had drinks Thursday night with some former co-workers, one who is leaving to go live and study in Israel for a few months, and one who is having a birthday on Friday. Shalom and Hollaaa.
And, again, I realized: wow, I really do have some wacky friends.
The birthday girl casually confessed something that, let me now evilly admit, made me chuckle just a little.
She's one of the K Sisters, that ravenous clan I've written about on this blog before (they love their food, don't you know). And, strangely enough, I just realized, even though she's the one I know best (I started working with her almost four years ago, in 2002) and have obviously hung out with the most, have went out drinking with the most, have gabbed with the most – she is actually the only K Sister I haven't assigned a name to here.
There is, to recap, the Littlest K, she's the tiny one I still haven't quite figured out yet. And there is Special K, the oldest, and sort of intriguing and semi-dangerous one - grrowwll. And then there is my bud, the sensible one in the middle.
So, just to be different, let's forget the K tags and call her “Jan.” As in Brady, of course, that most iconic of middle sisters.
Now, you have to understand, I love her – she is cute, smart, funny, talkative, interesting, talkative – did I say that already? And, hell, once in a while, even a little bit of a diva.
But, boy, is she fucking wacky.
So, we're on the west side, leaving Thaila, walking across 50th Street and heading to Bar Nine, and Jan proceeds to tell me her girlhood dream.
Apparently, she always wanted to be a private investigator!
Or, as she said – a “P.I.”
And she literally used that phrase.
“I always wanted to be a P.I” were her exact words, in fact. Which, I think, is when I unfortunately laughed.
You have to understand - Jan giggles when she sees dog poop on the sidewalk.
Let's just say, the thought of her interrogating a suspect, or trailing a cheating spouse, or whatever the hell hardboiled “P.I's” actually do, does not exactly spring easily to mind.
But, happy birthday, Jan. And maybe one of your gifts will be a cool camera with a night vision telephoto lens, or a .45 magnum for those tight scrapes you gritty P.I.s get in.
Friday, March 03, 2006
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Can you hear me now?
- Jesus H. Christ
- Join the club
- It's the most wonderful time of the year
- Scalia is such un succhiatore
- They must be heathens
- The terrorists have won
- I loved Crazy Cat on the Cartoon Network
- Well, I must be a goddamn general by now
- I think I need a damn Tampon now
- What am I, Google?
- Ohh mah gaaahhd, like, I know gurrls like thaaat
- Is this the seventh sign of the apocalypse?
- Everything will be good now
- Now, if I can only find a place where they fry bre...
- Lara Logan on fire
- That sounds familiar
- That didn't last long
- Oy gevalt
- I'd be screaming like a little girl
- The sharks were better actors
- Another Bush foreign policy success story
- What - is he in the Rolling Stones?
- He's probably going to be the next Secretary of Labor
- Sanity in South Dakota?
- Pass that buck
- She didn't say anything about black and white cookies
- Greed in the record industry? Shocking!
- Maybe he was just afraid of getting shot in the face?
- What's black and white and yummy all over?
- Seriously, can they get any scummier?
- Steaks and traitors and Scotch – oh my
- In-sane (adj.)
- It's about time
- Ladies, start your engines...of envy
- Can we at least call it a George Horse?
- Tall and tan and young and lovely....
- I hope they were wearing their protective vests
- I hear the call of the loon
- Reading is fundamental
- Corky or Lucy? You make the call
- There better be a goddamn revolution in November
- Good for her
- She wanted a salmon roll...in the hay
- SFX indeed
- His name will suddenly be very appropriate
- What's a little E. coli among friends
- March 14 - what a glorious day
- Is Erica Kane going to be named Secretary of State...
- Another glamorous night in the Big Apple
- The mind absolutely boggles
- Who are these heathens?
- His poll numbers are so bad he had to return to th...
- A bob job vs. a war? Not even close for Sen. Bill ...
- Now THAT'S my type
- Who knew so many people liked carrot juice?
- “That coat check girl has a name.”
- He's actually a small time piker in the usual scal...
- Where are the goddamn angry women?
- I survived!
- Bada bing
- George who?
- Someone didn't get the talking points
- What's wrong with this picture?
- Well, let me transfer my bank account info over to...
- It's a small world after all
- That little filly needs tamed -- and I'm just the ...
- They're just mad Bruce Willis hasn't been nominate...
- Piano Man
- Saturday rejuvenation tip # 26
- Speaking of God, it's about God damn time
- I really want to be an astronaut! No, wait, a fire...
- Now he tells us
- Dance, puppet, dance
- It's one of the seven deadly sins, you know
- Move over Georgina Bloomberg
- What's up with this seeing a celebrity thing?
- ▼ March (82)