Thursday night and birthday margs at El Rio Grande with my bud, “Corky.” She was actually very tame, considering multiple $10 margaritas were involved. Boringly tame, to my chagrin. Well, except she had her shirt on backwards. But, apparently, that was on purpose. Hey, it's a look, I guess?
And she also was quite proud of her new haircut, which she claimed cost $700 (!) It was done for a TV show, so she didn't have to pay for it, but, if you ever wonder why people in Iowa hate New Yorkers, this just might be one of the reasons – they get $700 haircuts.
Anyway, regular readers of this blog may recall, I've mentioned Corky here before. But, I'm thinking, Corky may be the wrong name for her. Perhaps Lucy would be more appropriate.
She doesn't have red hair (she has that $700 blondish hair now), but she reminds me a little of Lucille Ball. You know, the old black & white Lucy, when she was married to Ricky Ricardo and always coming up with all sorts of wacky schemes and getting into crazy situations. That's Corky.
She once started a business a few years ago, a special events company. (I don't know how prevalent such things are outside NYC, but, since there are so many bars and clubs in the city vying for attention, they often hire events planners and promoters to try to get people to come to their places).
So, Corky and a friend, one of the K Sisters, in fact, (the middle K, Jan, also mentioned here previously), decide to establish a fabulous special events operation.
Well, let me just tell you, Corky and Jan start off like gangbusters. And it's very exciting. They have business cards printed up. They incorporate at a cost of a few hundred dollars. They become an LLC no less! They are going to take over the nightlife of the city. They are monitoring the ads in the back of New York magazine to see where they can swoop in and start planning parties. Then, the moment finally arrives, and they are ready to debut. They throw an opening bash to celebrate the launch of the new business. They invite their family and friends to a lounge on the East Side for the big premiere night. Free drinks. Tasty hors doeuvres. Got quite a good turnout, too. Not bad.
And...er, that was basically the last fucking party they ever organized.
They lost interest in it all, and also lost several hundred bucks after expenses.
You know those two guys who invented Google? Built that company from scratch, faced the odds to go up against the established powerhouses, and are now powerful and influential gazillionaires?
Corky and Jan? Ehh, not so much.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Can you hear me now?
- Jesus H. Christ
- Join the club
- It's the most wonderful time of the year
- Scalia is such un succhiatore
- They must be heathens
- The terrorists have won
- I loved Crazy Cat on the Cartoon Network
- Well, I must be a goddamn general by now
- I think I need a damn Tampon now
- What am I, Google?
- Ohh mah gaaahhd, like, I know gurrls like thaaat
- Is this the seventh sign of the apocalypse?
- Everything will be good now
- Now, if I can only find a place where they fry bre...
- Lara Logan on fire
- That sounds familiar
- That didn't last long
- Oy gevalt
- I'd be screaming like a little girl
- The sharks were better actors
- Another Bush foreign policy success story
- What - is he in the Rolling Stones?
- He's probably going to be the next Secretary of Labor
- Sanity in South Dakota?
- Pass that buck
- She didn't say anything about black and white cookies
- Greed in the record industry? Shocking!
- Maybe he was just afraid of getting shot in the face?
- What's black and white and yummy all over?
- Seriously, can they get any scummier?
- Steaks and traitors and Scotch – oh my
- In-sane (adj.)
- It's about time
- Ladies, start your engines...of envy
- Can we at least call it a George Horse?
- Tall and tan and young and lovely....
- I hope they were wearing their protective vests
- I hear the call of the loon
- Reading is fundamental
- Corky or Lucy? You make the call
- There better be a goddamn revolution in November
- Good for her
- She wanted a salmon roll...in the hay
- SFX indeed
- His name will suddenly be very appropriate
- What's a little E. coli among friends
- March 14 - what a glorious day
- Is Erica Kane going to be named Secretary of State...
- Another glamorous night in the Big Apple
- The mind absolutely boggles
- Who are these heathens?
- His poll numbers are so bad he had to return to th...
- A bob job vs. a war? Not even close for Sen. Bill ...
- Now THAT'S my type
- Who knew so many people liked carrot juice?
- “That coat check girl has a name.”
- He's actually a small time piker in the usual scal...
- Where are the goddamn angry women?
- I survived!
- Bada bing
- George who?
- Someone didn't get the talking points
- What's wrong with this picture?
- Well, let me transfer my bank account info over to...
- It's a small world after all
- That little filly needs tamed -- and I'm just the ...
- They're just mad Bruce Willis hasn't been nominate...
- Piano Man
- Saturday rejuvenation tip # 26
- Speaking of God, it's about God damn time
- I really want to be an astronaut! No, wait, a fire...
- Now he tells us
- Dance, puppet, dance
- It's one of the seven deadly sins, you know
- Move over Georgina Bloomberg
- What's up with this seeing a celebrity thing?
- ▼ March (82)