I couldn't help myself, and I watched “The Apprentice” again last night (I know, I know, my life is pitiful sometimes).
At the end, the winning team got one of those goofy awards they have been giving out lately, this time swimming with the sharks in an aquarium. It basically consisted of being put in one of those cages and lowered into the water for about a minute. (They still love making fun of the fat guy, too. They are really painting him as a lunatic.)
Let me tell you, I would be goddamn pissed if I was on that show and that turned out to be one of the weekly prizes. In the first season, the winning team usually got something like a shopping spree at Cartier, or at least a fine meal in a great New York restaurant.
Now the prizes are stupid ones, or even, heaven forbid, socially conscious ones. Last week the prize was helping pick out job interview suits for two down-on-their luck men, with stuff from Donald Trump's own tacky clothing line, of course.
That's actually a good cause, and I give all my old suits and sports jackets to a group here in NY called Career Gear, which does that concept. And there's one that helps women too, called Dress for Success, for all you gals out there with too many clothes – yes, I'm talking to you!
But, to be on The Apprentice, and have the prize being to help pick out some clothes? What kind of fucking nonsense is that?
When he announced that was the "award," Trump said something along the lines of, “Instead of a prize for yourself, you will be helping....yadda yadda yadda...and this is a much better reward.” And, of course, one of the ass-kissing contestants smarmily agreed: “Much better, Mr. Trump.”
That's the putz I immediately started rooting against.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Can you hear me now?
- Jesus H. Christ
- Join the club
- It's the most wonderful time of the year
- Scalia is such un succhiatore
- They must be heathens
- The terrorists have won
- I loved Crazy Cat on the Cartoon Network
- Well, I must be a goddamn general by now
- I think I need a damn Tampon now
- What am I, Google?
- Ohh mah gaaahhd, like, I know gurrls like thaaat
- Is this the seventh sign of the apocalypse?
- Everything will be good now
- Now, if I can only find a place where they fry bre...
- Lara Logan on fire
- That sounds familiar
- That didn't last long
- Oy gevalt
- I'd be screaming like a little girl
- The sharks were better actors
- Another Bush foreign policy success story
- What - is he in the Rolling Stones?
- He's probably going to be the next Secretary of Labor
- Sanity in South Dakota?
- Pass that buck
- She didn't say anything about black and white cookies
- Greed in the record industry? Shocking!
- Maybe he was just afraid of getting shot in the face?
- What's black and white and yummy all over?
- Seriously, can they get any scummier?
- Steaks and traitors and Scotch – oh my
- In-sane (adj.)
- It's about time
- Ladies, start your engines...of envy
- Can we at least call it a George Horse?
- Tall and tan and young and lovely....
- I hope they were wearing their protective vests
- I hear the call of the loon
- Reading is fundamental
- Corky or Lucy? You make the call
- There better be a goddamn revolution in November
- Good for her
- She wanted a salmon roll...in the hay
- SFX indeed
- His name will suddenly be very appropriate
- What's a little E. coli among friends
- March 14 - what a glorious day
- Is Erica Kane going to be named Secretary of State...
- Another glamorous night in the Big Apple
- The mind absolutely boggles
- Who are these heathens?
- His poll numbers are so bad he had to return to th...
- A bob job vs. a war? Not even close for Sen. Bill ...
- Now THAT'S my type
- Who knew so many people liked carrot juice?
- “That coat check girl has a name.”
- He's actually a small time piker in the usual scal...
- Where are the goddamn angry women?
- I survived!
- Bada bing
- George who?
- Someone didn't get the talking points
- What's wrong with this picture?
- Well, let me transfer my bank account info over to...
- It's a small world after all
- That little filly needs tamed -- and I'm just the ...
- They're just mad Bruce Willis hasn't been nominate...
- Piano Man
- Saturday rejuvenation tip # 26
- Speaking of God, it's about God damn time
- I really want to be an astronaut! No, wait, a fire...
- Now he tells us
- Dance, puppet, dance
- It's one of the seven deadly sins, you know
- Move over Georgina Bloomberg
- What's up with this seeing a celebrity thing?
- ▼ March (82)