This administration is masterly at twisting criticism of the Iraq war and portraying it as somehow an "attack on the troops."
It was blatant during the 2004 campaign against decorated veteran John Kerry. It is especially strident when anti-war activists like Cindy Sheehan dare to protest. It happened recently when Pennsylvania congressman John Murtha, another decorated vet, and historically seen as one of the most pro-military people in Washington, called for a troop withdrawl after being convinced the Iraq War was turning into a quagmire. He was immediately slimed by an offshoot of the "Swift Boat Veterans" group that had went after Kerry during the campaign. They charged Murtha with somehow wanting to "abandon" the troops and harm their morale.
Now, the Joint Chiefs themselves have protested a recent editorial cartoon in The Washington Post. In it, a soldier is seen lying in a hospital bed, his arms and legs amputed from injuries suffered in Iraq. Donald Rumsfeld, as a doctor, is saying to him: "I'm listing your condition as battle hardened."
As the Post reported today in an article about the brouhaha, the line is based on actual comments Rumsfeld made last week, as he rejected warnings that the Iraq war risks "breaking" the Army, by saying the U.S. military is now "battle hardened."
A letter to the editor in the Post today, signed by Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs, says: "While you or some of your readers may not agree with the war or its conduct, we believe you owe the men and women and their families who so selflessly serve our country the decency to not make light of their tremendous physical sacrifices."
How the hell can this cartoon be seen as making light of injured soliders? It certainly portrays Rumsfeld an as unfeeling, incompetent bastard, a portrait many agree with. But making fun of the troops?
Fortunately, veteran's groups aren't so easily fooled. The Post quotes Dave Autry, of Disabled American Veterans, who said he was "certainly not" offended by the cartoon.
"It was graphic, no doubt about it," he said. "But it drove home a point, that there are critically ill patients that certainly need to be attended to."
But just wait till Rush Limbaugh and the rest of the rightwing hate mongers of talk radio get a hold of the issue, and it will be twisted into the "liberal media" once again "bashing" the troops. Not that Limbaugh and his ilk ever served a day in uniform of course.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- I think he secretly loves her like a fat boy loves...
- Now, of course, I'm gonna watch some football and ...
- A third of the country is retarded?
- Lies? From the Bush administration? I'm shocked
- Some days, I know just how he must have felt
- On a positive note, he always has that yummy chees...
- She sure beats Rita Cosby
- Why do I get the feeling these guys have never act...
- Swanee, how I love ya
- I blame Bush
- I think at about 5 am, I actually heard the electr...
- Drip, drip, drip
- It's never Dear Leader's fault
- Hey Georgina, I voted for your dad, you know
- And now it begins
- God Bless the President
- Give the GOP a taste of their own medicine
- Happy Pres Day
- I'm sure this is somehow sexist - but in a casuall...
- It's funny until someone loses an eye
- The fuckers get more vacation time than me
- NYC winter tip # 7
- Hey, I need a hot blonde naturally endowed sugar m...
- Also, I'm just lazy
- Un - &#$(@%* - believable
- Could I be (gasp!) a closet Republican?
- I suppose they’ll be calling for live televised ex...
- Well that explains Tom DeLay
- “I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is goi...
- Like Valentine's Day - and Dick Cheney - it just s...
- Your tax dollars at work
- "The creature dies in earnest"
- Forget the Olympic athletes
- The Dick speaks
- Cheap bastard note to self
- Bush-bashing, NYC life, stupid media, wacky friend...
- So much dirt it’s hard to keep track
- Cheney's been smoked out
- The quails are coming home to roost
- Say, why are all these balloon bouquets being deli...
- Too much? Even for loyal fans of “Dear Leader?”
- Random thoughts # 35 and # 36
- He’s an even bigger dick than you thought
- The looting and pillaging continues
- Truly a Dick
- And we laugh at the North Koreans?
- What do you mean you don’t want to watch the 2 a.m...
- Then he drove a carving knife through the sternum ...
- I hope the people in 23-L don't resort to cannibalism
- Such good kitties
- At the 3 p.m. show, she will be working with some...
- Although “Cathy” does make me want to riot sometim...
- Drip, drip, drip
- I believe the correct term is anal
- Gratuitous picture of the week
- She’s got bigger balls than most of the men in the...
- Do I have an evil twin? Of course, maybe I’m the e...
- I think one of my friends gave me A-D-D
- What the hell is this place?
- And Steve Jobs continues to take over the world bi...
- Wait till Jenna starts running the Department of A...
- Pat Robertson’s head might explode now
- It’s not prime rib?
- Don't take my Kodachrome away
- I'm going to turn this car around if you kids don'...
- Couldn't be happening to a nicer guy
- Does this mean the raccoon-eyed makeup look is bac...
- And you just know they have video games, too
- See. He's not a total derelict
- Hard to believe he screwed up a war, the economy, ...
- All signs to the contrary, I'm not totally cluele...
- R.I.P. Betty Friedan
- She shakes her little tushy on the catwalk
- Has the Bush administration taken over Blogspot?
- Was it the entry that began "Tom DeLay, a giant am...
- It's a small world after all
- Our mayor's richer than your mayor
- The gentleman from Ohio casts 3 votes for...
- As heard on the crosstown bus
- Nosy bastards
- I don't even have a "safe word"
- Up is down
- Get it in XL - they always shrink
- At least he wasn't on his cellphone
- Remind me, who are the animals, again?
- Can you hear me now?
- They should have held up some Jenna Jameson DVDs a...
- I couldn't actually see any pinky rings - but I kn...
- Quick, alert the Pulitzer committee
- But what will happen to the integrity of the league?
- Maybe the next rehab story will be real
- Random thoughts on Smirky McChimp and his speechif...
- Wings and beer vs. an hour of Bush? Oh yeah, tough...
- ▼ February (95)