There's been a lot of talk in the blogosphere about the now infamous Cheney hunting accident over the weekend.
I don't know if it was anything more than an accident. The guy who was shot is, by all accounts, a loyal Republican, and if they were trying to punish a political opponent, or send a message to a wayward ally, there must be a more inconspicuous way to do it than having the VP shoot him.
The real issue with the whole mess, it seems to me, is the secrecy surrounding it, secrecy all too typical of this administration, and Cheney in particular,
This is the man, after all, who refused to reveal the details, or even the participants, in his energy task force that set the nation's oil policy, a task force heavily populated by oil company bigwigs.
No, the question I would like answered about the Trigger Happy Dick is why it took the White House a day to let anyone even know that the Vice President of the United States was involved in a shooting incident. Isn't that sort of news?
As the AP reports: “The accident was not reported publicly by the vice president's office for nearly 24 hours, and then only after the Corpus Christi Caller-Times reported it Sunday. Cheney spokeswoman Lea Anne McBride said the vice president's office did not tell reporters about the accident Saturday because they were deferring to the ranch owner to announce what happened on her property.”
That would be Katharine Armstrong, another millionaire Republican, of course, who was put forward as the “face” of the incident.
Can you imagine the scandalized outcry from the right wingers if this had been Al Gore during the Clinton years? Rush “to the buffet” Limbaugh, et al, saw scandal and conspiracy when the Clintons went to church. Republicans would have been calling for congressional hearings. The 24-hour cable news channels would have had special graphics in place, and ominious theme music playing every time they went to a commercial.
Even if this was nothing more than an actual hunting accident, as is likely the case (although who knows if alcohol was involved, police statement notwithstanding), the reaction by the White House is the real problem. The automatic tendency of the Bush-Cheney people to cover up, to hide, to keep dark secrets.
Update: The Smoking Gun has the Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept. report here.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- I think he secretly loves her like a fat boy loves...
- Now, of course, I'm gonna watch some football and ...
- A third of the country is retarded?
- Lies? From the Bush administration? I'm shocked
- Some days, I know just how he must have felt
- On a positive note, he always has that yummy chees...
- She sure beats Rita Cosby
- Why do I get the feeling these guys have never act...
- Swanee, how I love ya
- I blame Bush
- I think at about 5 am, I actually heard the electr...
- Drip, drip, drip
- It's never Dear Leader's fault
- Hey Georgina, I voted for your dad, you know
- And now it begins
- God Bless the President
- Give the GOP a taste of their own medicine
- Happy Pres Day
- I'm sure this is somehow sexist - but in a casuall...
- It's funny until someone loses an eye
- The fuckers get more vacation time than me
- NYC winter tip # 7
- Hey, I need a hot blonde naturally endowed sugar m...
- Also, I'm just lazy
- Un - &#$(@%* - believable
- Could I be (gasp!) a closet Republican?
- I suppose they’ll be calling for live televised ex...
- Well that explains Tom DeLay
- “I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is goi...
- Like Valentine's Day - and Dick Cheney - it just s...
- Your tax dollars at work
- "The creature dies in earnest"
- Forget the Olympic athletes
- The Dick speaks
- Cheap bastard note to self
- Bush-bashing, NYC life, stupid media, wacky friend...
- So much dirt it’s hard to keep track
- Cheney's been smoked out
- The quails are coming home to roost
- Say, why are all these balloon bouquets being deli...
- Too much? Even for loyal fans of “Dear Leader?”
- Random thoughts # 35 and # 36
- He’s an even bigger dick than you thought
- The looting and pillaging continues
- Truly a Dick
- And we laugh at the North Koreans?
- What do you mean you don’t want to watch the 2 a.m...
- Then he drove a carving knife through the sternum ...
- I hope the people in 23-L don't resort to cannibalism
- Such good kitties
- At the 3 p.m. show, she will be working with some...
- Although “Cathy” does make me want to riot sometim...
- Drip, drip, drip
- I believe the correct term is anal
- Gratuitous picture of the week
- She’s got bigger balls than most of the men in the...
- Do I have an evil twin? Of course, maybe I’m the e...
- I think one of my friends gave me A-D-D
- What the hell is this place?
- And Steve Jobs continues to take over the world bi...
- Wait till Jenna starts running the Department of A...
- Pat Robertson’s head might explode now
- It’s not prime rib?
- Don't take my Kodachrome away
- I'm going to turn this car around if you kids don'...
- Couldn't be happening to a nicer guy
- Does this mean the raccoon-eyed makeup look is bac...
- And you just know they have video games, too
- See. He's not a total derelict
- Hard to believe he screwed up a war, the economy, ...
- All signs to the contrary, I'm not totally cluele...
- R.I.P. Betty Friedan
- She shakes her little tushy on the catwalk
- Has the Bush administration taken over Blogspot?
- Was it the entry that began "Tom DeLay, a giant am...
- It's a small world after all
- Our mayor's richer than your mayor
- The gentleman from Ohio casts 3 votes for...
- As heard on the crosstown bus
- Nosy bastards
- I don't even have a "safe word"
- Up is down
- Get it in XL - they always shrink
- At least he wasn't on his cellphone
- Remind me, who are the animals, again?
- Can you hear me now?
- They should have held up some Jenna Jameson DVDs a...
- I couldn't actually see any pinky rings - but I kn...
- Quick, alert the Pulitzer committee
- But what will happen to the integrity of the league?
- Maybe the next rehab story will be real
- Random thoughts on Smirky McChimp and his speechif...
- Wings and beer vs. an hour of Bush? Oh yeah, tough...
- ▼ February (95)