Here’s the first thought that goes through your mind when you’re a single guy and Valentine’s Day sneaks up on you and you’ve inadvertantly made casual dinner plans for that night.
For those of us in single world, who are not in a relationship, perhaps seeing a few people here and there casually, nothing serious, it can, shall we say, be a bad night to have made dinner plans with one of those aforementioned people.
Let’s just say there was more scrambling and damage control in the aftermath than the White House has shown in the Cheney-shooting-a-man debacle.
For me, it was planned as just a basic dinner. My first inkling of trouble came when I called Union Square Café yesterday afternoon to make dinner reservations and was told they had been booked solid for last night for about, oh, a month. Huh?
Then I started realizing why my friend “Sally” (as in When Harry Met… she gets in more dating jams than me, last night being just the latest) had seemed a tad surprised to get the invite last week.
So then, of course, the paranoia starts running through my feverish mind. Do I cancel with Sally, do I make it very clear that, “Ok, it’s the big romantic day of the year, women all over the city are floating around with flowers and balloon bouquets, but, hey, it’s just Tuesday dinner, we’ve gotta eat don’t we?”
Fortunately for moi, despite the fact that she has breasts and smells really good, she has a crude male mindset too, and was not really thinking, “Ahh, this is the big night, and I’m the one he’s chosen!” (And quite the coup that would have been for her, let me tell you).
As she told me over her 3rd Vodka tonic – “If you had waited until the Thursday before Valentine’s Day to actually be inviting me to a Valentine’s Day dinner, I would have literally ripped your throat out.”
Don’t you love when they get all girly?
And advertisers of America, can you maybe start the drumbeat for flowers and jewelry and restaurants a couple of weeks earlier next year? Give a clueless guy some more advance warning.
Wednesday, February 15, 2006
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- I think he secretly loves her like a fat boy loves...
- Now, of course, I'm gonna watch some football and ...
- A third of the country is retarded?
- Lies? From the Bush administration? I'm shocked
- Some days, I know just how he must have felt
- On a positive note, he always has that yummy chees...
- She sure beats Rita Cosby
- Why do I get the feeling these guys have never act...
- Swanee, how I love ya
- I blame Bush
- I think at about 5 am, I actually heard the electr...
- Drip, drip, drip
- It's never Dear Leader's fault
- Hey Georgina, I voted for your dad, you know
- And now it begins
- God Bless the President
- Give the GOP a taste of their own medicine
- Happy Pres Day
- I'm sure this is somehow sexist - but in a casuall...
- It's funny until someone loses an eye
- The fuckers get more vacation time than me
- NYC winter tip # 7
- Hey, I need a hot blonde naturally endowed sugar m...
- Also, I'm just lazy
- Un - &#$(@%* - believable
- Could I be (gasp!) a closet Republican?
- I suppose they’ll be calling for live televised ex...
- Well that explains Tom DeLay
- “I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is goi...
- Like Valentine's Day - and Dick Cheney - it just s...
- Your tax dollars at work
- "The creature dies in earnest"
- Forget the Olympic athletes
- The Dick speaks
- Cheap bastard note to self
- Bush-bashing, NYC life, stupid media, wacky friend...
- So much dirt it’s hard to keep track
- Cheney's been smoked out
- The quails are coming home to roost
- Say, why are all these balloon bouquets being deli...
- Too much? Even for loyal fans of “Dear Leader?”
- Random thoughts # 35 and # 36
- He’s an even bigger dick than you thought
- The looting and pillaging continues
- Truly a Dick
- And we laugh at the North Koreans?
- What do you mean you don’t want to watch the 2 a.m...
- Then he drove a carving knife through the sternum ...
- I hope the people in 23-L don't resort to cannibalism
- Such good kitties
- At the 3 p.m. show, she will be working with some...
- Although “Cathy” does make me want to riot sometim...
- Drip, drip, drip
- I believe the correct term is anal
- Gratuitous picture of the week
- She’s got bigger balls than most of the men in the...
- Do I have an evil twin? Of course, maybe I’m the e...
- I think one of my friends gave me A-D-D
- What the hell is this place?
- And Steve Jobs continues to take over the world bi...
- Wait till Jenna starts running the Department of A...
- Pat Robertson’s head might explode now
- It’s not prime rib?
- Don't take my Kodachrome away
- I'm going to turn this car around if you kids don'...
- Couldn't be happening to a nicer guy
- Does this mean the raccoon-eyed makeup look is bac...
- And you just know they have video games, too
- See. He's not a total derelict
- Hard to believe he screwed up a war, the economy, ...
- All signs to the contrary, I'm not totally cluele...
- R.I.P. Betty Friedan
- She shakes her little tushy on the catwalk
- Has the Bush administration taken over Blogspot?
- Was it the entry that began "Tom DeLay, a giant am...
- It's a small world after all
- Our mayor's richer than your mayor
- The gentleman from Ohio casts 3 votes for...
- As heard on the crosstown bus
- Nosy bastards
- I don't even have a "safe word"
- Up is down
- Get it in XL - they always shrink
- At least he wasn't on his cellphone
- Remind me, who are the animals, again?
- Can you hear me now?
- They should have held up some Jenna Jameson DVDs a...
- I couldn't actually see any pinky rings - but I kn...
- Quick, alert the Pulitzer committee
- But what will happen to the integrity of the league?
- Maybe the next rehab story will be real
- Random thoughts on Smirky McChimp and his speechif...
- Wings and beer vs. an hour of Bush? Oh yeah, tough...
- ▼ February (95)