Hey, I love the pretty girls, no question about it, and Betty Friedan, who died Saturday, was not at all a pretty girl, by any standard definition of the word. But, with the publication of her book, ''The Feminine Mystique,'' she was a major player in the evolution that made it much easier and accepted for women to become more than just the dutiful little stay-at-home housewife that once was all they could hope to be.
As A.P says in its obit: “Few books have so profoundly changed so many lives as did Friedan's 1963 best seller. Her assertion that a woman needed more than a husband and children was a radical break from the Eisenhower era, when the very idea of a wife doing any work outside of house work was fodder for gag writers, like an episode out of ''I Love Lucy.''
I like pretty, but I also like smart and articulate and independent women, and Friedan played a huge role in making that the norm now, at least in much of the country. So even if some of the women enjoying that freedom don't appreciate where it came from (cough: Ann Coulter), peace out, Betty.
Sunday, February 05, 2006
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- I think he secretly loves her like a fat boy loves...
- Now, of course, I'm gonna watch some football and ...
- A third of the country is retarded?
- Lies? From the Bush administration? I'm shocked
- Some days, I know just how he must have felt
- On a positive note, he always has that yummy chees...
- She sure beats Rita Cosby
- Why do I get the feeling these guys have never act...
- Swanee, how I love ya
- I blame Bush
- I think at about 5 am, I actually heard the electr...
- Drip, drip, drip
- It's never Dear Leader's fault
- Hey Georgina, I voted for your dad, you know
- And now it begins
- God Bless the President
- Give the GOP a taste of their own medicine
- Happy Pres Day
- I'm sure this is somehow sexist - but in a casuall...
- It's funny until someone loses an eye
- The fuckers get more vacation time than me
- NYC winter tip # 7
- Hey, I need a hot blonde naturally endowed sugar m...
- Also, I'm just lazy
- Un - &#$(@%* - believable
- Could I be (gasp!) a closet Republican?
- I suppose they’ll be calling for live televised ex...
- Well that explains Tom DeLay
- “I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is goi...
- Like Valentine's Day - and Dick Cheney - it just s...
- Your tax dollars at work
- "The creature dies in earnest"
- Forget the Olympic athletes
- The Dick speaks
- Cheap bastard note to self
- Bush-bashing, NYC life, stupid media, wacky friend...
- So much dirt it’s hard to keep track
- Cheney's been smoked out
- The quails are coming home to roost
- Say, why are all these balloon bouquets being deli...
- Too much? Even for loyal fans of “Dear Leader?”
- Random thoughts # 35 and # 36
- He’s an even bigger dick than you thought
- The looting and pillaging continues
- Truly a Dick
- And we laugh at the North Koreans?
- What do you mean you don’t want to watch the 2 a.m...
- Then he drove a carving knife through the sternum ...
- I hope the people in 23-L don't resort to cannibalism
- Such good kitties
- At the 3 p.m. show, she will be working with some...
- Although “Cathy” does make me want to riot sometim...
- Drip, drip, drip
- I believe the correct term is anal
- Gratuitous picture of the week
- She’s got bigger balls than most of the men in the...
- Do I have an evil twin? Of course, maybe I’m the e...
- I think one of my friends gave me A-D-D
- What the hell is this place?
- And Steve Jobs continues to take over the world bi...
- Wait till Jenna starts running the Department of A...
- Pat Robertson’s head might explode now
- It’s not prime rib?
- Don't take my Kodachrome away
- I'm going to turn this car around if you kids don'...
- Couldn't be happening to a nicer guy
- Does this mean the raccoon-eyed makeup look is bac...
- And you just know they have video games, too
- See. He's not a total derelict
- Hard to believe he screwed up a war, the economy, ...
- All signs to the contrary, I'm not totally cluele...
- R.I.P. Betty Friedan
- She shakes her little tushy on the catwalk
- Has the Bush administration taken over Blogspot?
- Was it the entry that began "Tom DeLay, a giant am...
- It's a small world after all
- Our mayor's richer than your mayor
- The gentleman from Ohio casts 3 votes for...
- As heard on the crosstown bus
- Nosy bastards
- I don't even have a "safe word"
- Up is down
- Get it in XL - they always shrink
- At least he wasn't on his cellphone
- Remind me, who are the animals, again?
- Can you hear me now?
- They should have held up some Jenna Jameson DVDs a...
- I couldn't actually see any pinky rings - but I kn...
- Quick, alert the Pulitzer committee
- But what will happen to the integrity of the league?
- Maybe the next rehab story will be real
- Random thoughts on Smirky McChimp and his speechif...
- Wings and beer vs. an hour of Bush? Oh yeah, tough...
- ▼ February (95)
Betty Friedan and skinny fashion models, what doesn't compute here?
You're such a hypocrite, you would give anything to be with Ann Coulter and you would be repulsed to be with Betty Friedan. Why would you even pretend otherwise?
Wow, I can't figure out if these commentators are ugly women or bitter men?
Right on Coulter fan. JBK talks out of both sides of his mouth, as usual, giving a mournful "tribute" to this radical feminist, just after he brags about drinking with models. Just watch what you say around here though. If you dare to criticize any post you get shouted down by the other libs.
Who the hell ever tried to shut you down bally107? I see your comments all over this blog, usually saying the same old tired garbage. I don't think you've ever been shouted down or censored. I even saw another commenter respectfully try to engage you in a debate, asking for your views or your own blog. Stop lying about how you were treated.
Thanks, Pam. Bally tries to say that I tell her to stop talking, but I never have. I've asked Bally many times to actually say something and engage in a debate.
Bally, the only thing I've asked you not to do is insult people out of nowhere (i.e., insult JBK for drinking with a friend when the post was about randomly running into her).
So at least get it right when you "claim" that I asked you to be quiet. Remember: I want you to talk. I really do. Just say something with substance.
Post a Comment