It’s amazing what politicians will do to pander to potential voters or to powerful factions in a party.
In New York, two moderate Republicans – one seeking the nomination to be the candidate for governor, the other for state attorney general – appeared before the state’s Conservative Party convention, and each went nauseatingly out of their way to appeal to this far right wing group of Neanderthals.
The Conservative party, which is far to the right of the state GOP, is a powerful force in New York Republican politics; it’s endorsement and practice of occasionally giving some Republican candidates its line on the ballot, can mean the difference between a win and loss for a GOP candidate in statewide offices. They say no Republican has ever won the U.S. Senate seat unless he also had the conservative endorsement.
So there was Bill Weld, the former governor of Massachusetts, who has moved home to New York and is seeking to run as the Republican candidate for governor, assuring the cons that he would ban gay marriage.
Now, Weld is one of those old-fashioned Rockefeller Republicans, moderate in just about all areas, from abortion rights on. As in New York, a Republican candidate in Massachusetts has to be that way.
But Weld told the convention he would “veto any bill to legalize same-sex marriage in this state.” From his history, that’s an issue you can bet he really doesn’t care about, that it wouldn’t really bother him if two guys want to get married. But, for this crowd he goes out of his way to be intolerant and sneer that likely Democratic candidate Elliot Spitzer “has announced on his first day as governor he would file legislation to legalize same-sex marriage.”
Meanwhile, groveling before the same convention, Jeanine Pirro, seeking to get the nod to run for state attorney general (after her disastrous attempt to be the candidate who will get whomped by Hillary in the Senate race) bragged about her gun collection.
Pirro, another moderate on issues like choice, went out of her way to tell the cavemen of the cons that she has not just one or two guns, but three.
Coming in the immediate aftermath of Dick Cheney shooting a guy in the face, I don’t know if bragging about having multiple guns is the most sensitive topic - but for that crowd, I suppose it works.
Friday, February 17, 2006
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- I think he secretly loves her like a fat boy loves...
- Now, of course, I'm gonna watch some football and ...
- A third of the country is retarded?
- Lies? From the Bush administration? I'm shocked
- Some days, I know just how he must have felt
- On a positive note, he always has that yummy chees...
- She sure beats Rita Cosby
- Why do I get the feeling these guys have never act...
- Swanee, how I love ya
- I blame Bush
- I think at about 5 am, I actually heard the electr...
- Drip, drip, drip
- It's never Dear Leader's fault
- Hey Georgina, I voted for your dad, you know
- And now it begins
- God Bless the President
- Give the GOP a taste of their own medicine
- Happy Pres Day
- I'm sure this is somehow sexist - but in a casuall...
- It's funny until someone loses an eye
- The fuckers get more vacation time than me
- NYC winter tip # 7
- Hey, I need a hot blonde naturally endowed sugar m...
- Also, I'm just lazy
- Un - &#$(@%* - believable
- Could I be (gasp!) a closet Republican?
- I suppose they’ll be calling for live televised ex...
- Well that explains Tom DeLay
- “I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is goi...
- Like Valentine's Day - and Dick Cheney - it just s...
- Your tax dollars at work
- "The creature dies in earnest"
- Forget the Olympic athletes
- The Dick speaks
- Cheap bastard note to self
- Bush-bashing, NYC life, stupid media, wacky friend...
- So much dirt it’s hard to keep track
- Cheney's been smoked out
- The quails are coming home to roost
- Say, why are all these balloon bouquets being deli...
- Too much? Even for loyal fans of “Dear Leader?”
- Random thoughts # 35 and # 36
- He’s an even bigger dick than you thought
- The looting and pillaging continues
- Truly a Dick
- And we laugh at the North Koreans?
- What do you mean you don’t want to watch the 2 a.m...
- Then he drove a carving knife through the sternum ...
- I hope the people in 23-L don't resort to cannibalism
- Such good kitties
- At the 3 p.m. show, she will be working with some...
- Although “Cathy” does make me want to riot sometim...
- Drip, drip, drip
- I believe the correct term is anal
- Gratuitous picture of the week
- She’s got bigger balls than most of the men in the...
- Do I have an evil twin? Of course, maybe I’m the e...
- I think one of my friends gave me A-D-D
- What the hell is this place?
- And Steve Jobs continues to take over the world bi...
- Wait till Jenna starts running the Department of A...
- Pat Robertson’s head might explode now
- It’s not prime rib?
- Don't take my Kodachrome away
- I'm going to turn this car around if you kids don'...
- Couldn't be happening to a nicer guy
- Does this mean the raccoon-eyed makeup look is bac...
- And you just know they have video games, too
- See. He's not a total derelict
- Hard to believe he screwed up a war, the economy, ...
- All signs to the contrary, I'm not totally cluele...
- R.I.P. Betty Friedan
- She shakes her little tushy on the catwalk
- Has the Bush administration taken over Blogspot?
- Was it the entry that began "Tom DeLay, a giant am...
- It's a small world after all
- Our mayor's richer than your mayor
- The gentleman from Ohio casts 3 votes for...
- As heard on the crosstown bus
- Nosy bastards
- I don't even have a "safe word"
- Up is down
- Get it in XL - they always shrink
- At least he wasn't on his cellphone
- Remind me, who are the animals, again?
- Can you hear me now?
- They should have held up some Jenna Jameson DVDs a...
- I couldn't actually see any pinky rings - but I kn...
- Quick, alert the Pulitzer committee
- But what will happen to the integrity of the league?
- Maybe the next rehab story will be real
- Random thoughts on Smirky McChimp and his speechif...
- Wings and beer vs. an hour of Bush? Oh yeah, tough...
- ▼ February (95)