I don't like targeting a particular group of people for unfavorable treatment, it's just obnoxious and, frankly, wrong to do so. But, let's face it, the Arab world has certainly offered the west some reasons to be a little wary, shall we say, especially in national security matters.
So this recently announced deal, on which the Bush administration has signed off, in which Dubai Ports World, a United Arab Emirates company, will take over major U.S. port operations in New York, New Jersey, Baltimore, New Orleans, Miami and Philadelphia, should be the perfect occasion for the Democrats – if they have an ounce of political sense left – to do a little demagoguing of the GOP.
The Republicans, after all, are masters at this, and they are also especially good at taking a candidate's strengths and somehow turning it against them: Al Gore was too stiff and intellectual (and, you know, who wants a smart guy in the Oval office, we want a good ol' boy who more Americans would prefer to have a beer with) and then John Kerry and his war hero status (hmm, questions must be raised, did he really deserve those medals, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain).
Well, now the Dems should be pounding on the port security issue non-stop. Bush and his party somehow have the reputation for being better at national security (never mind 9-11 actually happened under them) so throw that very issue right back in their faces.
Asked about the port deal, the head of homeland security, Michael (“Hurricane? What hurricane?”) Chertoff, said, "We make sure there are assurances in place, in general, sufficient to satisfy us that the deal is appropriate from a national security standpoint.”
Who cares. Make this an issue.
The blow back is already beginning, to an extent. As A.P. reports, “Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.), who is working on legislation to prohibit companies owned or controlled by foreign governments from running port operations in the United States, said Chertoff's comments showed him that the administration "just does not get it."
It's a start, but the Democrats should be ginning this issue up daily and make it into a major embarrassment for the Republican administration. I'm tired of our side just rolling over and playing by Queensbury rules, while the other side goes for the jugular. We should be fighting as hard as Karl Rove and his gang of dirty tricksters.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- I think he secretly loves her like a fat boy loves...
- Now, of course, I'm gonna watch some football and ...
- A third of the country is retarded?
- Lies? From the Bush administration? I'm shocked
- Some days, I know just how he must have felt
- On a positive note, he always has that yummy chees...
- She sure beats Rita Cosby
- Why do I get the feeling these guys have never act...
- Swanee, how I love ya
- I blame Bush
- I think at about 5 am, I actually heard the electr...
- Drip, drip, drip
- It's never Dear Leader's fault
- Hey Georgina, I voted for your dad, you know
- And now it begins
- God Bless the President
- Give the GOP a taste of their own medicine
- Happy Pres Day
- I'm sure this is somehow sexist - but in a casuall...
- It's funny until someone loses an eye
- The fuckers get more vacation time than me
- NYC winter tip # 7
- Hey, I need a hot blonde naturally endowed sugar m...
- Also, I'm just lazy
- Un - &#$(@%* - believable
- Could I be (gasp!) a closet Republican?
- I suppose they’ll be calling for live televised ex...
- Well that explains Tom DeLay
- “I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is goi...
- Like Valentine's Day - and Dick Cheney - it just s...
- Your tax dollars at work
- "The creature dies in earnest"
- Forget the Olympic athletes
- The Dick speaks
- Cheap bastard note to self
- Bush-bashing, NYC life, stupid media, wacky friend...
- So much dirt it’s hard to keep track
- Cheney's been smoked out
- The quails are coming home to roost
- Say, why are all these balloon bouquets being deli...
- Too much? Even for loyal fans of “Dear Leader?”
- Random thoughts # 35 and # 36
- He’s an even bigger dick than you thought
- The looting and pillaging continues
- Truly a Dick
- And we laugh at the North Koreans?
- What do you mean you don’t want to watch the 2 a.m...
- Then he drove a carving knife through the sternum ...
- I hope the people in 23-L don't resort to cannibalism
- Such good kitties
- At the 3 p.m. show, she will be working with some...
- Although “Cathy” does make me want to riot sometim...
- Drip, drip, drip
- I believe the correct term is anal
- Gratuitous picture of the week
- She’s got bigger balls than most of the men in the...
- Do I have an evil twin? Of course, maybe I’m the e...
- I think one of my friends gave me A-D-D
- What the hell is this place?
- And Steve Jobs continues to take over the world bi...
- Wait till Jenna starts running the Department of A...
- Pat Robertson’s head might explode now
- It’s not prime rib?
- Don't take my Kodachrome away
- I'm going to turn this car around if you kids don'...
- Couldn't be happening to a nicer guy
- Does this mean the raccoon-eyed makeup look is bac...
- And you just know they have video games, too
- See. He's not a total derelict
- Hard to believe he screwed up a war, the economy, ...
- All signs to the contrary, I'm not totally cluele...
- R.I.P. Betty Friedan
- She shakes her little tushy on the catwalk
- Has the Bush administration taken over Blogspot?
- Was it the entry that began "Tom DeLay, a giant am...
- It's a small world after all
- Our mayor's richer than your mayor
- The gentleman from Ohio casts 3 votes for...
- As heard on the crosstown bus
- Nosy bastards
- I don't even have a "safe word"
- Up is down
- Get it in XL - they always shrink
- At least he wasn't on his cellphone
- Remind me, who are the animals, again?
- Can you hear me now?
- They should have held up some Jenna Jameson DVDs a...
- I couldn't actually see any pinky rings - but I kn...
- Quick, alert the Pulitzer committee
- But what will happen to the integrity of the league?
- Maybe the next rehab story will be real
- Random thoughts on Smirky McChimp and his speechif...
- Wings and beer vs. an hour of Bush? Oh yeah, tough...
- ▼ February (95)