Ok, I'm going to get a little more philosophical and wordier than usual in this post. I've had a few cocktails with friends, and feeling a bit expansive, so bear with me.
We were talking over dinner Friday night about this controversy in the Muslim world about those now infamous Danish editorial cartoons, that are apparently so offensive to Islam that riots have erupted, embassies have been torched, people have died, flags have been burned, yadda yadda.
And I seriously can't get my mind around all the anger and hatred from this faction of the world – and not even just about this cartoon issue, necessarily.
Some of it, I know, is genuine angst at the actual cartoons, and I appreciate that there is a general prohibition against depicting Muhammad in human form, even benignly (although burning a building down does seem a tad extreme) – but let's be honest as to what this is really all about: the never-ending antipathy against Jews.
Because, despite the fact that the cartoons appeared in a Danish newspaper, and were drawn by Danish artists, you knew, somehow, the Jews would end up getting brought into it.
Iran's Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said that “casting doubt or negating the genocide of the Jews is banned, but insulting the beliefs of 1.5 billion Muslims is allowed."
Uh, yeah, sure. So now we're comparing 6 million deaths in the Holocaust to some drawings?
And, in fact, as the great Michael Kinsley said: “Nothing is easier and more common in the West, including the United States, than criticizing the United States -- except for criticizing Israel.”
Kinsley also noted: “A government-controlled Tehran newspaper announced a contest for cartoons about the Holocaust...(and) in a spirit of "see how you like it," a European Muslim group posted on the Web a cartoon of Anne Frank in bed with Hitler.”
I didn't hear about too many riots erupting in Israel over that one - but, whatever, as the kids say.
Listen, I certainly understand there is anger among Palestinians in particular against the state of Israel. Some of it for good reason.
But, let's face it, you know -- you absolutely know -- that even if Israel somehow didn't exist, there would still be this bizarre hatred toward Jews coming from the Muslim and Arab world.
And this is what I always wonder: have these people actually met any Jews? I mean real Jewish individuals. Not a vague entity, not the powerful state of Israel and its military might, but I mean personally do they know any Jews?
A little background. I come at the whole religion topic with a bit of a disadvantage, I suppose. As in by not really having too much first-hand, in-depth experience. (Although the passion it inspires has always fascinated me.) But my family was never religious at all. We are what you would call baaaaaad Catholics. In the circle of friends and family I grew up with in waspy Connecticut, no one really bothered about religion one way or the other. I suppose we knew a few religious types who went to church every Sunday, and, you know, we “tolerated” (hah!) them, but, seriously, no one cared; just don't bug me about your faith was always the unspoken motto. If I'd grown up in Alabama or Mississippi, I guarantee you my family would probably have had a burning cross thrown on our lawn by now, we would so much be the town heathens.
But, if I had to be religious, if, God forbid, I was told: ok you have to choose a faith right now and follow it, I'd probably choose to be Jewish.
It just seems to me to be one of the most benign of the major religions, and a lot of them aren't particularly benign. It seems to involve a lot of nice family get togethers for meals and enjoying togetherness in general, which I've always loved when I've been to a Seder dinner or other such gatherings. (Ok, the food ain't always the best, but, hey).
And, most important to me, Judaism doesn't go out of its way to convert non-believers – which, let's face it, the Protestant fundamentalist Pat Robertson-types do. (And trust me, Pat Robertson is basically considered the devil incarnate in Connecticut, home of Joe Lieberman, no less).
Even on a purely personal note, most of the girls I date tend to be Jewish (which is why I ended up at a lot of those family gatherings and suffered through many a stringy brisket over the years – oy). And most of my friends, male and female, also tend to be Jewish.
Who knows, maybe that's simply a factor of living in Manhattan for several years now, home to a large Jewish population, obviously, but that's the way I like it.
So that's why I wonder, when I hear these Muslim fundamentalists rail against “The Jews,” how they would possibly react if they actually got to know my friend Sarah or my friend Nel or my friend Dan (and I usually create names for my buds on this blog, but those are real names, and I checked with each of them that it was okay to use in this post).
I just don't know too many people any nicer or kinder, who would give you the shirt off their backs if you needed it or go to bat for you more.
And when these fundamentalists do their little war dance against “The Jews,” I wonder what the story is?
Do they actually believe the hatred they spout, or is it all just a button-pushing issue, to keep their masses riled up -- like the right-wingers in this country do with gay marriage or flag burning amendments or abortion, or what ever other issues they can gin up to keep red state America happy?
So that's why I always wonder if these Muslim leaders actually know any Jews? Because if they knew people like my friends, I can't believe they would preach hate like they do.
Then again, I'm guessing for them it's just so much bullshit, and that even they don't believe it for real.
Alas, it gets them in power and pays their bills, I guess.
It's a very strange world we live in.
Saturday, February 11, 2006
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- I think he secretly loves her like a fat boy loves...
- Now, of course, I'm gonna watch some football and ...
- A third of the country is retarded?
- Lies? From the Bush administration? I'm shocked
- Some days, I know just how he must have felt
- On a positive note, he always has that yummy chees...
- She sure beats Rita Cosby
- Why do I get the feeling these guys have never act...
- Swanee, how I love ya
- I blame Bush
- I think at about 5 am, I actually heard the electr...
- Drip, drip, drip
- It's never Dear Leader's fault
- Hey Georgina, I voted for your dad, you know
- And now it begins
- God Bless the President
- Give the GOP a taste of their own medicine
- Happy Pres Day
- I'm sure this is somehow sexist - but in a casuall...
- It's funny until someone loses an eye
- The fuckers get more vacation time than me
- NYC winter tip # 7
- Hey, I need a hot blonde naturally endowed sugar m...
- Also, I'm just lazy
- Un - &#$(@%* - believable
- Could I be (gasp!) a closet Republican?
- I suppose they’ll be calling for live televised ex...
- Well that explains Tom DeLay
- “I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is goi...
- Like Valentine's Day - and Dick Cheney - it just s...
- Your tax dollars at work
- "The creature dies in earnest"
- Forget the Olympic athletes
- The Dick speaks
- Cheap bastard note to self
- Bush-bashing, NYC life, stupid media, wacky friend...
- So much dirt it’s hard to keep track
- Cheney's been smoked out
- The quails are coming home to roost
- Say, why are all these balloon bouquets being deli...
- Too much? Even for loyal fans of “Dear Leader?”
- Random thoughts # 35 and # 36
- He’s an even bigger dick than you thought
- The looting and pillaging continues
- Truly a Dick
- And we laugh at the North Koreans?
- What do you mean you don’t want to watch the 2 a.m...
- Then he drove a carving knife through the sternum ...
- I hope the people in 23-L don't resort to cannibal...
- Such good kitties
- At the 3 p.m. show, she will be working with some...
- Although “Cathy” does make me want to riot sometim...
- Drip, drip, drip
- I believe the correct term is anal
- Gratuitous picture of the week
- She’s got bigger balls than most of the men in the...
- Do I have an evil twin? Of course, maybe I’m the e...
- I think one of my friends gave me A-D-D
- What the hell is this place?
- And Steve Jobs continues to take over the world bi...
- Wait till Jenna starts running the Department of A...
- Pat Robertson’s head might explode now
- It’s not prime rib?
- Don't take my Kodachrome away
- I'm going to turn this car around if you kids don'...
- Couldn't be happening to a nicer guy
- Does this mean the raccoon-eyed makeup look is bac...
- And you just know they have video games, too
- See. He's not a total derelict
- Hard to believe he screwed up a war, the economy, ...
- All signs to the contrary, I'm not totally cluele...
- R.I.P. Betty Friedan
- She shakes her little tushy on the catwalk
- Has the Bush administration taken over Blogspot?
- Was it the entry that began "Tom DeLay, a giant am...
- It's a small world after all
- Our mayor's richer than your mayor
- The gentleman from Ohio casts 3 votes for...
- As heard on the crosstown bus
- Nosy bastards
- I don't even have a "safe word"
- Up is down
- Get it in XL - they always shrink
- At least he wasn't on his cellphone
- Remind me, who are the animals, again?
- Can you hear me now?
- They should have held up some Jenna Jameson DVDs a...
- I couldn't actually see any pinky rings - but I kn...
- Quick, alert the Pulitzer committee
- But what will happen to the integrity of the leagu...
- Maybe the next rehab story will be real
- Random thoughts on Smirky McChimp and his speechif...
- Wings and beer vs. an hour of Bush? Oh yeah, tough...
- ▼ February (95)