Saturday, January 14, 2006
Now if they can only explain why you never see baby pigeons
I remember reading a few years ago that the world's frog population is dwindling, and no one really knew why. Now they do. Scientists are reporting in the journal Nature that global warming is causing climate changes leading to fungus outbreaks lethal to frogs, salamanders and their kin.
"The frogs are sending an alarm call to all concerned about the future of biodiversity and the need to protect the greatest of all open-access resources - the atmosphere," write the scientists, Andy Dobson, a Princeton University ecologist, and Andrew R. Blaustein, a zoologist at Oregon State University, according to The Times.
For years the GOP and their business allies have been poo-pooing global warming, calling it an unproven theory. No matter what studies are done, it goes into the trash pile. (But Intelligent Design, that they have no problem with, of course.) They really are the live-for-the-moment party. Huge national debt? Ehh, forget about it, we'll let the next generation or two pay for it. Global warming? Don't worry, we'll be dead by the time New York is under 20 feet of melted polar ice cap. Whatever happened to the conservative party actually being concerned about conserving?
The pigeon reference in the headline, by the way, is one of those New York mysteries. You never see baby pigeons. Come to think of it, you rarely see dead ones either. What's up with that?
Posted by J at 3:59 PM
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- I wish he had gored them all - right in the balls
- Freaky Friday
- Shiny, happy people
- Heckuva job, Condi
- Survey says....meeow
- So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye
- And them good ol' boys were drinking whiskey and rye
- People are annoying #27
- Rainy days and Sundays
- In this episode, the K's converge in midtown and N...
- Sorry, ladies, hes taken
- Just as long as Dr. Phil isn't involved
- You can take the A Train
- What was it? Katrina, Iraq, corruption, global war...
- Make it a double
- It's the New Jersey of New York
- Closing the book on "Daniel"
- Was he the one who cancelled "Taradise" ?
- One of these things is not like the other
- I think this whale might have been at Down the Hat...
- The people ride in a hole in the ground...
- And you think New Jersey Transit sucks?
- Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
- Nothing to see here, folks, move along
- Tom gets to 2nd?
- The WB and UPN are merging
- That was annoying
- Cheap bastards
- And they say quality television is dead
- Can't we just cancel the Bush administration?
- Well, I guess it's better than the second place en...
- What the....?
- Shithead talks, film at 11
- Dollar beers - ahh, nothing says good times like b...
- The Big Easy
- You say tomato, I say oxycontin
- 8 bazallion percent markup?
- Does he read the Dr. Zizmor ads?
- Even Billy laughs at the chunky one's career traje...
- Bush + goofy picture: click on I'm feeling lucky
- Move over Philip Seymour Hoffman
- Hey teacher, leave them kids alone
- I blame George Bush
- Good for Alexis!
- New England Clam Chowder mmm mm good
- Hat trick
- Beck: He's a loser, baby
- Press 7 to delete
- Sideways, upside down, kitty korner
- Is the entire family retarded?
- Don't let the door hit ya....
- Treo update UPDATE
- Ann Coulter's dick gets a shout out
- How do you work that channel blocking thing again?
- Now if they can only explain why you never see bab...
- They have to fill out a form?
- Treo update
- It's not the movies that have gotten smaller, it's...
- Hey, there's a clown in this picture...
- Now here's a radical thought
- Maybe Rudy will let him borrow one of his dresses
- Misty water colored memories
- And now the CBS Babealicious News
- Does Rockefeller still own the damn thing?
- Treo 650 vs 700?
- I'll take lap dances for $250, Alex
- Stand clear of the closing door...
- Making your way in the world today....
- Sloppy Seconds
- Hammer Time
- I thought we were cool-de-la
- It's a little too saucy (name the show from whence...
- ▼ January (75)