I've never understood the generally good press and the gushing accolades that Condelezza Rice gets. It seems to me, frankly, she has been a disaster as, first, National Security Adviser, and, now, Secretary of State.
She was the person, after all, ultimately responsible for briefing George Bush on the now infamous August 6, 2001 Presidential Daily Briefing that was titled: "Bin Laden Determined to Attack Inside the United States." During her slippery testimony before Congress, when they investigated what went wrong, she hemmed and hawwed and said no one really predicted that, well, bin Laden was going to attack inside the United States.
Except, you know, that whole briefing thing from August. The one called, ohh, what was it again? Oh yes: Bin Laden Determined to Attack Inside the United States.
Did the intelligence have the flight numbers or the date 9-11? No. Did it provide a fairly strong warning that something ominous was coming, and perhaps steps should be taken to increase monitoring of al Queda members in the U.S? Yes.
Condi, however, somehow escaped any accountability for her role in not ringing the alarm bells for the devastating attack that took place a month after the PDB.
And now, she is telling reporters that no one saw the depth of the anger and disillusionment among the Palestinians that would lead to them overwhelmingly voting into power the terror group Hamas.
According to the Times: "I've asked why nobody saw it coming," Ms. Rice said, speaking of her own staff. "It does say something about us not having a good enough pulse."
Excuse me. She's in charge of this country's foreign policy establishment, but she and her people didn't even have contingency plans ready in the event that Hamas gained some sort of official power, never mind control, in an election we were all assured was going to be just another happy example of the flower of democracy growing in the middle east.
Yeah, that certainly worked out well, didn't it?
In most other countries, when a high government official presides over failure after failure, they resign in shame. Or, at least, get fired by the head of state.
Not under Bush. Here, they tend to get a promotion or a medal.
And Condi? Well, you know she used to be a university provost, and she plays the piano nice, and she dresses real snappy. Why rock the boat.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- I wish he had gored them all - right in the balls
- Freaky Friday
- Shiny, happy people
- Heckuva job, Condi
- Survey says....meeow
- So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye
- And them good ol' boys were drinking whiskey and rye
- People are annoying #27
- Rainy days and Sundays
- In this episode, the K's converge in midtown and N...
- Sorry, ladies, hes taken
- Just as long as Dr. Phil isn't involved
- You can take the A Train
- What was it? Katrina, Iraq, corruption, global war...
- Make it a double
- It's the New Jersey of New York
- Closing the book on "Daniel"
- Was he the one who cancelled "Taradise" ?
- One of these things is not like the other
- I think this whale might have been at Down the Hat...
- The people ride in a hole in the ground...
- And you think New Jersey Transit sucks?
- Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
- Nothing to see here, folks, move along
- Tom gets to 2nd?
- The WB and UPN are merging
- That was annoying
- Cheap bastards
- And they say quality television is dead
- Can't we just cancel the Bush administration?
- Well, I guess it's better than the second place en...
- What the....?
- Shithead talks, film at 11
- Dollar beers - ahh, nothing says good times like b...
- The Big Easy
- You say tomato, I say oxycontin
- 8 bazallion percent markup?
- Does he read the Dr. Zizmor ads?
- Even Billy laughs at the chunky one's career traje...
- Bush + goofy picture: click on I'm feeling lucky
- Move over Philip Seymour Hoffman
- Hey teacher, leave them kids alone
- I blame George Bush
- Good for Alexis!
- New England Clam Chowder mmm mm good
- Hat trick
- Beck: He's a loser, baby
- Press 7 to delete
- Sideways, upside down, kitty korner
- Is the entire family retarded?
- Don't let the door hit ya....
- Treo update UPDATE
- Ann Coulter's dick gets a shout out
- How do you work that channel blocking thing again?
- Now if they can only explain why you never see bab...
- They have to fill out a form?
- Treo update
- It's not the movies that have gotten smaller, it's...
- Hey, there's a clown in this picture...
- Now here's a radical thought
- Maybe Rudy will let him borrow one of his dresses
- Misty water colored memories
- And now the CBS Babealicious News
- Does Rockefeller still own the damn thing?
- Treo 650 vs 700?
- I'll take lap dances for $250, Alex
- Stand clear of the closing door...
- Making your way in the world today....
- Sloppy Seconds
- Hammer Time
- I thought we were cool-de-la
- It's a little too saucy (name the show from whence...
- ▼ January (75)